Glamping and ecotourism are key growth tourism sectors and glamping in particular is evolving
fast, creating a completely new kind of leisure experience and dramatically changing the travel landscape.
In response, progressive landowners and organisations are choosing to diversify into these markets, and individuals
wanting to escape the ‘rat-race’ are seizing it as an opportunity to create a lifestyle business of their own.
Diversifying into glamping has several pluses – it can provide a relatively fast return on investment, use otherwise redundant spaces, be more profitable than some traditional rural enterprises, supplement existing revenue/s, and dovetail into other business practices. Whatever you want from it, we can create a glamping project to suit, it’s remarkably flexible. Glamping isn’t subject to the same occupancy requirements and tax implications as some other holiday accommodation, and usually, depending on the size of the development, can require a much lower investment. At an altruistic level, it can also be a rewarding business, providing genuine, transformative experiences for people who usually get little quality time to themselves, or together.
Like starting any other business, creating a successful glamping project involves in depth-research, a sound business plan, and decision making, a crucial one being whether or not to go ahead at all. A series of individual choices will each influence how successful the final business will be.
There are an increasing number of large glamping developments planned for the UK, most of which follow a standard ‘resort’ style, and whilst rows of glamping tents or pods might prove profitable at the moment, it won’t be too long before some of them will need a higher degree of diversification to maintain occupancy rates. Not only will Kate’s advice guide you towards the right products and designs, but also how to best plan ahead and ‘future-proof’ high investment projects.
There are also many smaller, independent sites coming on board, which pose different challenges. Important decisions still need to made and they can require a different approach to their U.S.P.. Also, they tend to require many personal skills, not least of all patience, tact, tenacity and an ability to cope with stressful situations.
Working with Kate, you’ll have access to impartial and knowledgeable guidance from a well-connected industry professional who knows the business inside out, and has seen first-hand what works and what doesn’t. Kate’s open and honest way of working, along with a unique set of skills, puts her in an excellent position within the industry. The benefits to you are:
- Proven Suppliers: Kate only recommends reliable companies that she knows personally, minimising issues with supply, continuity, and customer support. You won’t have to find out the hard, or expensive way, which products or services would have been more suitable, robust or cost effective.
- Reduced Set-up Costs: Kate has negotiated reduced prices with a selection of suppliers which reduces your start-up costs if you are using her service.
- Unique Selling Points: If you’re looking to offer something different from the crowd, Kate’s input can be pivotal. Drawing on several diversification themes, she can create an imaginative U.S.P. that will set your business above the competitors.
- Knowledge: Kate works hard to keep abreast of industry developments and products, maintaining a unique depth of industry knowledge to provide the most relevant and up-to-date advice.
- Experience: A background in sales, marketing, property restoration, hospitality and design, as well as six years working directly in the glamping industry, give her a unique set of creative and business skills. From initial concept, right through to marketing and running a site – she knows every stage of the process.
- Industry Specialists: Kate only refers other industry professionals and consultants, who she knows have the level of experience and integrity that she herself works to.
- Sustainable Landscaping: As a Permaculture Designer Kate can bring a unique element of logical, practical, sustainable principles into landscaping and design, creating a more engaging and enjoyable experience for your guests.
- Creativity: Kate is known for her ideas! She brings a unique, creative element to any project which is increasingly important as glamping continues to develop and guest expectations evolve.
- International experience: Kate works with landowners from many countries and receives regular international enquiries. She visited Australia in 2015, advising landowners in Margaret River, and Ecuador in 2016 to create a glamping development strategy with the Ministry of Tourism. Whilst all glamping and ecotourism projects have commonalities, each country and location poses its own restrictions and requirements and Kate can help you to weave these successfully together.
As further glamping sites and developments enter the market every year, it becomes increasingly competitive.
Let’s create something that sets your business apart – and stays that way.